Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Song of the Day - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor - mvt. 3



I've always been a music lover. This is probably apparent by my insistence on the Song of the Day portion of this blog. I've always enjoyed finding a reason, no matter how loosely related, to associate a song to a moment, or a day.

This selection was easy. A very close friend of mine, one of the closest, mentioned it to me on the phone this morning. To this friend I owe a debt of gratitude for heightening my appreciation for the art of music. It was this friend that let me know that it was ok to like anything, that within every piece of music, the potential to discover something genuine or pleasing is always present, we just have to open ourselves to it.

This is the friend who recommends Rachmaninoff on a random Tuesday, and has at least a decade of cassette-tape recordings, mostly from the 80s, of Kasey Kasem’s Top 40. Talk about varied taste!

In his own words, Piano Concerto No. 2 (and No.3) is another place, perhaps even another time. After listening to it this morning, I think he was referring to that “swept away” feeling we sometimes experience from a truly special piece of music.

Video originally posted on youtube.com by mariocast.

No comments: