Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Three Short Answers

Today, like most days, I had to explain to someone why I was a vegetarian who eats mostly organic foods, why I didn't sit in front of the TV and why I was taking my "garbage" home.

My answers to these questions vary, depending on my mood, but here are my answers today, as I am in a gentle mood.

1. I don't want to eat meat and I don't really have to. By combining certain foods like beans and rice or beans with potato, create a complex protein very similar to that found in meat. The one thing missing is the iron. For that I load up on green vegetables like spinach, brocoli or asparagus. If not, I take a mutli-vitamin to make up for my lack of iron. Not to mention that the means by which humans kill animals for food is...well...I find it unsettling.

2. The average American sits in front of the TV roughly 6 hours a day! To paraphrase Tim Leary, " that means that the average American sits like a vegetoid slug in front of a screen absorbing loads of information......" For me, that's not the answer for someone who desires an authentic existence. A DVD once in a while is a nice way to unwind, but I just find more intersting ways to occupy my time.

3. I take my "garbage" home because it is not yet the law to force businesses, restaurants and bars to recycle. Until it is, I will coninue to take my recycling to-go!

No comments: