Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hitting The Wall



Writing is no easy task! It requires work, and lots of it. Those of you out there who labor at this art know what I mean. We all have our own difficulties when it comes to putting something down, but we can all agree – sometimes it’s tough out there!
Today’s example is that I have hit the wall. Between my job as an editor and the work I do on the side, I feel spent for the day – nothing left to give. There’s plenty of time left in the day to produce something, but I feel fried! So, I’m going to get up, leave the computer, get some air and go listen to Joseph Arthur later this evening at an intimate venue in the city. The problem is that the stress of deadlines and the ongoing dialogue in my head are sure as hell going to follow me out tonight. They will take the place of that nagging younger sibling whose insistence on not leaving you alone with your girlfriend makes getting to first base impossible. First base for me tonight is simply, relaxation, but as any and every writer knows – even if you are not physically writing, you are still working!
The irony here is that I’m writing about my frustration about not being able to write anymore today!

As KV would say "So it goes!"

© bflo12, 2009

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm running into this problem more and more the less I write. So, it seems the simple act of putting down words helps me. And by words, I mean like a diary of stuff that I have seen and felt during the day, a.k.a journal. But then, even this is becoming harder to do.

bflo said...

And that's just it - writers are kinda like contact hitters in baseball. When you are in a slump, you just need to get out there and make contact! peace brother!